Thursday, March 17, 2011

Complexity

I know I have not posted in quite some time.  Being busy is not a good excuse!

I do have numerous random ramblings floating through my brain with respect to testing.  But my key thought for the day is that testing web applications can be extremely complex.  Besides complexity the simplest deformity can cause the most chaos.

Are web applications similar to macromolecular complex assembly?  Macromolecular complex assembly is the aggregation, arrangement and bonding together of a set of components to form a complex.

I guess I would consider the combining of a bunch of disparate technology stacks an aggregation.  The integration of these technologies certainly must be arranged and bonded.  I believe today that tiny aspects of this complex are under the scrutiny of a microscope.

Someone of importance notices that an implementation in a specific browser causes a line to wrap.  This is a tiny deformity on the surface of a cell causes concern, yet the neighboring system which is about to go into complete cardiac arrest goes unnoticed.

Why is it that the tiniest blemish on a complex system gets noticed first?  Why is it that the most insignificant concern causes the most chaos for a tester?

Unfortunately it becomes difficult for testers to inspect the entire surface of a cell, when the internal organs (mitochondria) are in need of some much attention.  As we inspect and flush out the issues with the key features we get the most demerits for a cosmetic blemish on the user interface.

So I guess the resolution is to perform CPR on the failing feature while fixing the blemish.  The complex will endure!

No comments: