Sunday, May 31, 2015

TestRetreat - Grand Rapids

I am planning to participate in a Test Retreat in Grand Rapids on August 1, 2015.  Test Retreat is an event formed by Matt Heusser two days before CAST.  What is Test Retreat?

The truth is I do not know what Test Retreat is.  Then why participate?

  1. I was invited.
  2. I am participating in CAST
  3. The Retreat takes on Open Spaces format
  4. Smart people will participate
  5. I will learn something valuable
Being invited is an awesome thing, because I have collaborated with Matt several times in the past. Each time we have collaborated I have learned something new.  I also become energized and inspired.

I have never participated in CAST, so I think this retreat is a logical extension of the learning experience CAST will provide.

I love the open spaces format.  The reason is that it allows for a gathering where smart people decide the agenda organically.  I was introduced to the LAWST format in 2007 by Bret Pettichord.  Brett continues to use open spaces style formats with his Test Bazaar and other events.  I have also seen Matt use this style for a panel discussion at STPCon in Dallas.  When people build the agenda, I believe the right conversations happen.

I have learned so much over the past 8 years by trying to surround myself with people way smarter than me.  An additional attribute is that these smart people have passion and drive to make the software industry better.  I believe I share that passion and drive, but often we need new ideas and tools to pivot the industry in the right direction.  We accomplish this by discussing topics with smart people.

I believe four times in this short post I have used the word, learn.  That is exactly the reason I would love to collaborate at Test Retreat Grand Rapids 2015.  I plan to continue my education journey.

If any of these reasons inspire you, please let me know so we can invite you to the Test Retreat.

No comments: